Re: apache build

(Message reformatted for readability)

Note: Please fix your email program so it produces sensibly formatted
emails.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:20:02PM +0000, Andrew Critchlow wrote:
> Hi eveyone, I am in desperate need of help to understand the
> configuration when using ./configure to install apache 2.

Out of curiousity, why build from upstream?  Debian provides packages of
apache2 in both Sarge and Etch.

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-so

That is a correct configure command for apache.

> I understand what the prefix does, its the module theory.  From my
> understanding --enable-so, enable shared objects.  So correct me if

That is correct.

> i'm wrong I can now, in the httpd.conf load a module via, for
> example:LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so But then there are

That is also correct.

> commands such as:--add-module=module_type:/path/to/3rdparty/mod_foo.c

That is used to statically compile a module in.

> --enable-module=shared and --enable-module=shared.  What do each of

These are the same and basically mean that the module is included as
part of the httpd source distribution and should be compile as an apache
DSO.

> these do? Why would I ever need this if I have used --enable-so ?  I

If you used --enable-so, the first command (--add-module) might be used
because you want some modules linked statically no matter what, like
SSl, for example.  The --enable-module is used to add modules, like
rewrite, proxy, auth and others.

> installed PHP using ./configure --enable-so and everything worked

Why?  Are the Debian php5 packages not sufficient?

> fine.  Also where does apxs come into it all? When I configured PHP I

The apxs command is used by programs that compile against apache to
figure out certain things about apache, like which MPM it is using,
which directories contain the headers, etc.

> used: ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs I don't
> really understand what this means? Many many thanks to anyone who can

All it does is tell PHP where to find apahce's apxs since it is not in
your path.

> help with this!

Regards,

-Roberto