Re: netatalk puzzle

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:27:58AM +0100, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le samedi 30 décembre 2006 21:00, Paul E Condon a écrit :
> > I've been using netatalk to connect several Macs to my Debian boxes for
> > several years. For the last few month, one box has been running Etch.
> > All worked fine until two days ago. There was a power failure which forced
> > a reboot of all computers. After the reboot, one of the netatalk shares
> > on one of the linux boxes could not be mounted on any of the Macs.
> > Nothing had changed in AppleVolumes.default as a result of the power
> > crash, and so far as I can determine, the most recent update to netatalk
> > was well before I installed Etch. The shares that continue to work are
> > the default Debian netatalk, '~/'. The one that stopped working is a
> > directory that I have created, '/bg4', (at the top level in the heirarchy).
> > I don't see anything peculiar about the permissions on this directory, and,
> > it was working before two days ago.
> >
> > I've fixed access to /bg4 by putting a soft link to it in my home
> > directory, but I wonder what might be the reason for this change. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Certainly the CNID database which is corrupted...
> remove all .AppleDB directories :
> # find /bg4 -type d -name .AppleDB -exec rm -rf {} \;
> And restart netatalk.
>
> We must do it too often here :-(

That fixed the problem. Thanks! But what does 'CNID' stand for? I noticed
when I restarted netatalk there was mention of cnid_metad in the list of
appletalk deamons that I had not noticed before. Has it always been there?
What does it do? Would it be appropriate to include your magic line of code
in the restart script for netatalk?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net