netatalk puzzle

I've been using netatalk to connect several Macs to my Debian boxes for
several years. For the last few month, one box has been running Etch.
All worked fine until two days ago. There was a power failure which forced
a reboot of all computers. After the reboot, one of the netatalk shares
on one of the linux boxes could not be mounted on any of the Macs.
Nothing had changed in AppleVolumes.default as a result of the power
crash, and so far as I can determine, the most recent update to netatalk
was well before I installed Etch. The shares that continue to work are
the default Debian netatalk, '~/'. The one that stopped working is a
directory that I have created, '/bg4', (at the top level in the heirarchy).
I don't see anything peculiar about the permissions on this directory, and,
it was working before two days ago.

I've fixed access to /bg4 by putting a soft link to it in my home directory,
but I wonder what might be the reason for this change. Any ideas?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net