Re: moving /var

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:01:35PM -0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:

> Really, I asked two questions mixed up together.  The other is how to
> run makeinitrd, or anything else such as lilo or grub-install (or
> whatever the command is) in a chroot, when chrooting cuts you off from
> the /dev and /proc filesystems so that none of these commands will run.

I've done this several times over the years as needs change and I've
never had a problem.  Here's how I do it:

	from single-user mode
	format the new partition
	mount it on e.g. /newvar
	use mc and copy /var to /newvar (keeping same attributes)
	shutdown -Fr now
	boot the install disk and:
		rename /newvar to /oldvar
		edit /etc/fstab to point /var to the new partition,
			and mount the old var partition on /oldvar
				for my friend Justin Case.
	reboot to single user mode, and ensure all is well,
	reboot to standard mode.
	if all looks good, unmount /oldvar and delete the partition or
		otherwise reclaim that space.

As far as running a command from within the partition (e.g. chroot) from
a rescue, I note that the Etch installer has this on the rescue-mode
menu (including installing grub or lilo), I would just do that if need
be.

YMMV, good luck.

Doug.