etch laptop system logs me out during inactivity (X crash?)

I've seen this happening on my etch laptop more often recently (not exactly sure when I first saw it, but it has probably been within the last 3 months). I generally keep the system relatively up-to-date (almost always within a couple weeks of current testing).

I typically leave my laptop on overnight, or just running while I'm doing something else -- and during this time the laptop is basically idle. After some time, I'll return to the laptop and find that it has kicked me out of my gnome session to the gdm login prompt screen.

I see this in the messages file:

Dec 30 09:11:50 gish gconfd (xxxx-####): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly
Dec 30 09:11:50 gish gconfd (xxxx-####): Exiting

I've googled a bit and not found a real cause, solution, or workaround. Some folks on the Ubuntu forums thought X was crashing and gconfd was reacting to that. As I indicated, my etch system is pretty current, and 'X -version' reports version 7.1.1. I'm also running kernel 2.6.17.

Anyone else seeing this?  Anyone found the problem?

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom. -- Gandalf