Re: GUI and USB question

On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:12, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > 1st question is, how do I start the GUI (KDE, Gnome, whatever) that I
> > assume is bundled with the distro?
>
> Sometimes, following the initial install, a user needs to log in, and then
> enter the command "startx" to get the gui going.  Afterward, gdm (gnome
> display manager) should just work on it's own. You may need to reconfigure
> the xserver, using
> "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" as root.
>
> Mark

Also. And this is going back some time, as I installed my Debian installs from
Woody 3.0r2 cdroms, I seem to remember that late on in the install you are
asked to make some choices about X, and the desktop. the first time I
installed Debian, and I was very new to Linux, I skipped all this and found
myself with the text login. Not knowing what to do, and having installed the
packages for Gnome, and KDE, I copped out and reinstalled, and this time took
the time to make the correct selections for the X, and desktop stuff.

Perhaps if you have installed Sarge, you could run base-config. I'ts no longer
available on my Etch install, but might take you through initial config stuff
on Sarge.

Nigel.