Re: GUI and USB question

Keith Willis wrote:

> I've completed my install of Debian v3.1r4 "sarge", from the
> downloaded DVD images.  I reboot, and I'm at the familiar CLI login
> prompt.

First of all, I should note that "Sarge" is a bit dated. The next
release codenamed "Etch" is going to be released real soon, and you can
already use a beta version. So if you do not mind using something not
100% stable, and have not yet done much with your install, I suggest you
download "Etch" [0] and do a clean reinstall. It contains numerous
improvements and should get you going real fast.

[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

> 1st question is, how do I start the GUI (KDE, Gnome, whatever) that I
> assume is bundled with the distro?

My memories of how things worked in "Sarge" are a bit hazy, but...

If you just did a base install then CLI is all you get. To get GNOME,
run this as root:

 "apt-get install aptitude" (installs a neat CLI package manager)
 "aptitude install gnome gdm xserver-xfree86"

> 2nd question, completely unrelated, is about when I plug in my USB
> memory stick.  The OS spots it and seems to mount it, but I can't find
> the mount point.  Where do I cd to in order to find my files that are
> on the stick?

When you plug in the USB memory stick, it should appear as SCSI disc in
"/dev" (such as "/dev/sda1" or similar). You can then mount it wherever
you feel like.

 "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/whateverdir"

You will not need to be bothered about all of this once you get your
desktop environment running.

> Oh, and one last one; I don't suppose anyone has the faintest idea how
> to make the OS talk to a Hawking Technologies HWU8DD USB WiFi dish? If
> not, I'll just get a cheapie WRT54GL and use that as a WiFi client,
> but I guess it's worth asking first...

Cannot help you on this one, sorry.

I still strongly suggest you install "Etch". You will _not_ need to
reinstall it once the final is released - Debian has the best package
management/upgrade system out there.

You also do not need all the CDs/DVDs, Debian can install missing
packages directly from the net.