Re: Problems booting

On Dec 28, 9:00 am, "Jaume Alonso" <jaume.alo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Debian testing user. A few days ago I recompiled the kernel (2.6.18)
> and I installed it in the "Debian way" (by creating a .deb package of the
> kernel and installing it). But I've got a problem: when I boot the system
> with the new kernel, appears a lot of times the message "modprobe: FATAL:
> Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/modules.dep". When it stops, the
> system continues booting normally, then it goes into the X and KDE and I
> have no problems then, all works perfectly.
>
> I've tried to do "modprobe -l" and I get the list of the modules located in
> that folder (/lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/). And I've checked with konqueror
> that the folder exists and has things inside, including the file "
> modules.dep".
>
> Any idea to solve that?
>
> Thanks in advance

I got that when I had the wrong startup ram disk (or ram filesystem)

Boot your system with the old kernel and run:
mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-jaume 2.6.18-jaume

(on older systems it will be mkinitrd instead)

Then make sure /boot/grub/menu points to this initrd in the proper
section (or edit lilo.cof and run lilo if that
is your system)

Stuart