Re: problem mount hard disk using loopback device

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 03:02:43PM +0800, Trace Green wrote:
> Hello, I have one question to ask:
>
> When I try to use Knoppix 5.0 liveCD, I can mount any of
> my partitoin using loopback device, that's say:
>
> mount -t vfat -o offset=`expr 234567821 "*" 512` /dev/hda
> /mnt/hda5 as an example.

This isn't using the loopback device... The loopback device
is for mounting filesystems contained within files on
another filesystem.

> But in my own Debian system . I can't do that, error
> message is:
>
> /mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/loop0,

This error is generated by the exact line above?

> and dmesg: /loop: loaded (max 8 devices) FAT: bogus number
> of FAT structure VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on
> dev loop0./

Has this output been mangled in the email, or is it
verbatim?

> you may ask me why I do this but don't use /dev/hda5
> directly. Because in my harddisk, there is a host
> protected area(hpa) which is a hidden partition to store
> some info.

My laptop had something similar. I believe I could disable
that behaviour in the BIOS.

--
Jon Dowland