Re: How to change a gateway?

Bill wrote:
On Thu, 2006-21-12 at 18:46 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:42:38AM -0800, Bill wrote:
Hi folks,

What is the best way to change the IP address of a gateway?
Other than using the route command - that won't survive a reboot.

I have a new router with a different IP and need to configure
accordingly.

I find the basic data is in /etc/network/interfaces, but it's a
"no-edit" file. Presumably there's a better way? A tool, a script?

Why is it a "no-edit" file? I thought *this* was the way to configure
network on Debian.

Hi,

Well, as you can see from below the file contains statements like "please do not modify the following line."
That may have come from somewhere but mine have never had such lines. man 5 interfaces says:

/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This is where you configure how your system is connected to the network.

Paul Scott