Re: A market perspective on the impact of dunc-tanc

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>:
>  Default User wrote:
> > IMHO, the idea of paying privileged, pet, mercenary developers, while
> > others work for free, was a VERY BAD IDEA!
>
>      Well, that's your perogative.  However, who said they were
>  privledged or pets or mercenaries?

With all respect to the DDs (and I apologize for adding my voice to
the noise), I have to admit I don't *get* this dunc-tank furor thing.
Shouldn't we all be happy that someone wants to add incentive to the
release team to get Etch out the door?  Doesn't all of Debian (DDs,
users, downstreams, ...) gain from this?

I'm not slavering to upgrade ASAP.  Sarge is doing a marvelous job for
me.  When Etch goes stable, great.  Take your time and do it right.
I'm happy to wait for their determination that it's ready.  The
alternative hurts Debian (and Free Software, for that matter).  Imagine
the headlines if they released before it was ready!

If you want to do something about this, send cash to SPI!

I'm sorry if d-t's efforts have ticked off some DDs.  The solution is
not to complain that the release team is getting paid and they're not.
I wish they were all funded massively through SPI.  Presently, that's
not a realistic expectation.  D-t is helping the release team get Etch
out, which ought to be a good thing for anyone connected to Debian.
What's wrong with that?!?

Lots of Debian users make money off supporting Debian.  If we can get
some for the release team, is that really so evil?  I wish there was
more to go around, but the Sugar Daddy's haven't shown up yet.  Is
that d-t's fault?  They stepped up to the plate, partially to
encourage others.

[Not you specifically Steve :-)]  Are you an other?  Send money to SPI!

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html