Re: smooth upgrades

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 10:41 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 13:05, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > [qoute from above link]
> > > # COMMENTS:
> > > # Do not forget to put in /etc/apt/apt.conf
> > > #
> > > #   APT::Default-Release "<version>";
> > > #   APT::Cache-Limit 18000000;
> > > #
> > > # Else you'll never be able to parse all of these
> > > #
> > > # version can be: woody, sarge, etch, sid,
> > > #                 oldstable, stable, testing,
> > > #                 unstable or experimental
> > > #
> > > [/qoute]
> > >
> > > The APT-HOWTO doesn't mention code-names for the 'Default-Release'
> > > option and my experiments suggest they don't work at all.
> >
> > Hmm, unless you have the the sources labeled as them...
> >
> > IOW like this:
> >
> > ## Old Stable - Debian (currently Woody)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Stable - Debian (currently Sarge)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Testing - Debian (currently Etch)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> >
> > ## Unstable - Debian (always SID, or Still In Developement)
> > #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> > #deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> >
> > Then they do work. And I just tested it here on the very machine I am
> > typing from... and it does work with the release labels. Perhaps I
> > should make a second sources.list this way. To remove any confusion.
>

> why do you put a '#' sign in front of each entry?

Because they are disabled by default. If you read the entire original
link you'll see I say to enable only the ones you need.

Why would I un-comment them all by default. It would seriously cause
problems. It would cause many people to upgrade to Sid or Experimental
if they didn't have a proper apt.conf
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is