Re: No volume control GStreamer plugins

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 17:45 +0100, Fritz Wettstein wrote:
I can sudo alsamixer, it starts a ncurses application with some vertical bars, but don't know what to do with it.
The lsmod shows nothing what looks sound-related.

alsamixer should be usable without running it as root, your normal user
should be in group audio.

If you aren't sure that audio is working, that should be your first
priority before worrying about mixers. Find out what kind of sound card
you have (lspci could be a start), if it's supported, install and
configure alsa, etc.

I've added my user to the group audio, then alsaconf. lsmod now shows some snd* modules.
I'm now able to adjust the volume the red "X" has disappeared.
Now I'll go on to learn how to use sound on debian/linux.

Alan and Sven, thanks a lot for the help.

Fritz