Re: lvm vs traditional partitioning

On Saturday 23 December 2006 12:30, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 23:05, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > I don't know about booting LVM, though. I
> > think you still need traditional partitions for that.
>

> I have everything on raid but not lvm - but LVM I then use for

I've played around with LVM a bit, but not a LOT....

I've often wondered if you have non-raid partitions making up the PV's of the
LV's, and had a PV fail what would happen....
Since all the PV's are lumped together, would one just have random data loss
across the LV?  That seems like it would be a pain in the behind to restore
if that was the case....  Has anyone here lost a disk in a volume and can
answer to that?   (of course if one had mirrored disks making up the PV's
that wouldn't be a concern)

Any insight would be appreciated :)

For adult education nothing beats children.

Tuesday Dec 26, 2006