Re: pppoe configuration - unable to ping outside

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:58:27 +0530
Anuj Singh <anujhere@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Greetings,
> This is my first mail to to users list.
> Recently I installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (`sarge')

Welcome!

> I have eth0 connected to my adsl router and eth1 to my local network.
> I configured my adsl with pppoeconf, logs shows me I am connected, and
> ifconfig gives me ppp0 address too.
> route -n gives me ip address of my router (that is correct =
> 192.168.1.1), my eth0 has ip 192.168.1.3 and eth1 has 10.1.1.3
> I can ping router/ local machines , but can not ping outside,
> my /etc/resolv.conf is updated and I tried given nameserver from my isp
> as well as automatically detected dns.

Is your router set to be the default gateway? What is the exact output
of 'route'? Does outside ping fail for the other machines on the local
net or even for the box connected directly to the modem? Does ping fail
even for manually entered IP addresses or only when you use DNS?

> Same configuration is working smoothly on Redhat/Fedora, but I am facing
> problems on debian. I can use redhat/fedora but so far I found debian
> much better (used it before), don't want to stick with redhat/fedora.
>
> regards
> anuj

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator