Re: 2 weeks as a Debian user: a report back

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, andy wrote:

> I am using Gnome as my WM having formally been a fan of XFce I am quite
> enjoying some of the automations that Gnome offers (e.g. daily package
> updates). As a WM, Gnome doesn't seem to release resources as quickly as XFce
> did with Slackware. Since I haven't setup XFce to run with Debian, I can't
> comment on a comparison btw XFce on Slack or Deb, except that, by default,
> Debian Etch seems to run a later version of XFce.

Gnome is a DE (desktop environment) not a WM (window manager), a window
manager is part of a DE or not, if it's by itself. Gnome uses Metacity
as a window manager and KDE uses kwin for the same purpose.

I think you should install XFCE for a better comparison with Slack and
report back; enquiring minds want to know. I've never used Slackware,
only Arch Linux and did not notice any difference in speed.

I use Ratpoison (wm) and it flies.

greetings,
macondo