Re: Release date of Debain Etch

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 08:11:35PM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 18:25 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 22:29 +0530, Raghu Kodali wrote:
> > >    It was announced that Etch will be released in Dec 2006. Can anybody
> > > tell me when it will be released (as stable). I am not brave enough to
> > > upgrade to a "testing" Etch.  I am using Sarge 3.1r4 right now.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Debian doesn't set release dates, the December date was only an
> > estimate. The best way to keep track of Etch is to keep an eye on the
> > debian-devel-announce list.
>
> That said, very little will be changing in Etch between now and when it
> gets released, so you can upgrade.  Anything that might go wrong now
> will most likely go wrong too when Etch is stable.  But I've upgraded a
> number of boxes, and the few issues I've had were minor and easily
> fixable.

In my opinion, the *big* thing they still need to work on is the upgrade
path itself.  Even if most of the packages stay much the same. changes
in the upgrade instructions may make the difference between a cakewalk
and an unusable system.  My recent sarge->etch upgrade resulted in a
system that will boot reliably only into maintenance mode.  I'm
thingking of wiping the thing, restoring sarge from backup, and starting
over.

-- hendrik