Re: questions for when Etch goes stable

On Sat December 23 2006 11:17, Baz wrote:
> On 12/23/06, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > On Sat December 23 2006 10:33, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I've presently got 2 Sarge installs on the stable repo, and Etch on the
> > > testing repo. I've seen more than one post saying that testing was
> >
> > frozen,
> >
> > > but since then I've had more updates for Etch, and tonight another 50MB
> >
> > of
> >
> > > updates.
> >
> > There will be lots of bug fixes.. :)
> >
> > > I will probably keep my Etch install on testing when it goes stable,
> > > but forget what the new testing install is named. Doh.
> >
> > Lenny, I think.
> >
> > > One of my Sarge installs I will keep on the stable repo, which on
> > > dialup will be a lot of fun, as it upgrades to Etch
> > >
> > > The other Sarge install I will rename in /etc/apt/sources.list to
> > > sarge. what will be the status of this Sarge install? Are there going
> > > to be any updates, bugfixes, security fixes, or is this Sarge install
> > > going to be

> > > lost cause?
> >
> > It will remain as it is, you'll be running sarge or oldstable. There will
> > continue to be security updates for a time (probably a short time).
> >
> > > I will probably keep this install on the Sarge repo, as folks
> > > from time to time who havn't upgraded, might have questions related to
> > > Sarge, and it's nice to be able to boot up an older version to check
> > > how it's setup, and perhaps provide some answers to questions.
> >
> > --
>
> Yea, I was wondering something similar.  I'm running
> etch.  After I read the replies, I checked my source list - and, all are
> etch, except CD #1 and #2, which are "testing_etch."

You don't need to change the cd lines in your sources list, that will stay the
same unless you get an updated cd. If you want to continue tracking etch
after it becomes stable rather than having your etch install become lenny
make sure your sources list deb lines are pointing to etch rather than
testing. I think they use etch by default.

> So, when etch becomes stable, I just simply need to install the updates and
> then it will be the same as stable etch?

Your running etch now so when etch becomes stable you'll already have it.. :)
I suspect there will be a number of updates before that happens though.