Re: How do I get NFS locking to work?

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 04:53:28PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-12-14 12:42:13, schrieb hendrik@topoi.pooq.com:
> > On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 12:18:27PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > > How do I get NFS locking to work?  (And why doesn't it "just work"
> > > anyway?)
> > >
> > > I am unable to use monotone properly over an NFS mount because it very
> > > sensibly tries to lock its repository before modifying it.
>
> You NEEED to mount your NFS-Share HARD in your /etc/fstab with:
>
> nfsserver:/directory   /datadir nfs rw,bg,hard,intr,tcp,vers=3,wsize=8192,rsize=8192 0 0
>                                           ^^^^      ^^^ ^^^^^^
>
> and it seems, that some things are working only correctly,
> if you use "tcp" and "vers=3".  Be sure, you have compiled
> this options into your kernel or kernel-module.

Thanks. This looks like information that I haven't been able to find
any other way, despite looking for several months.  I'm trying to try
this now (firsttrying to find mention of what you're telling me in the
documentation so I'll understand what I'm doing), but my nfs man pages
mention options nfsvers and mountvers, but not vers.  The etch man pages
mentions NFS versions 1, 2, 3 and 4, but the sarge man pages (sarge is
the client) mentions only 1 and 2.

Of course I'll try it anyway as soon as my users are
out of the way, but I find myself wondering whether these are manual
deficiencies or functional limitations in the sarge and etch releases.

-- hendrik