Re: Installation Issue

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:29:27PM -0800, Kevin James wrote:
> I am new to Linux and am trying to install Debian Linux (Sarge) on an HP
> LC2000r.  This server has a NetRAID controller 3Si.  There are 3 hard
> disks and they are configured as RAID 5.  When I reach the point in the
> installation where the hard disks are discovered the process fails
> saying "no partitionable media were found".  Do you have some
> instructions on how to install this OS on the RAID level hard disks?

according to http://www.linux.com/howtos/HP-HOWTO/hp-hardware.shtml
the NetRAID 3si is supported by megaraid. You can switch over to a VT
during the install and see if megaraid is installed. use `alt-f2` to get
a VT, follow instructions to get a shell. then type `lsmod` and look for
megaraid. If its not there, try `modprobe megaraid`. Then switch back
to the installer `alt-f1` and see if that solves the problem.

The other posters advice to try an 'etch' install is good advice too.

> I have seen this message before installing Windows and I believe that
> this means that the appropriate RAID controller drivers are not
> available.  In the Windows environment I would install the drivers and
> proceed.  I am not sure if it is that easy in Linux.  I also can not
> find the appropriate drivers and I do not know how to interrupt the
> installation to install them.  That is if this is even the issue.
>
> Since I am new to Linux I would really appreciate it if the explanation
> is in its simplest form.  That does not mean that I am computer
> illiterate, just new to Linux.  Please don't assume that I will
> understand anything but the simplest Linux commands.  However, I follow
> direction extremely well.

welcome and good luck. its a fun ride.