etch on intel mac mini

Hello,

I am trying to install and boot etch in on my intel core duo mac mini.

I upgraded the firmware, I repartitioned with Apple's Boot Camp. On boot, I now choose what to boot with rEFIt and etch was installed from the install CD.

At this point, .
* At the end of the install, I can install lilo if and only if I have exactly one linux partition (no swap, sda1 is an small EFI partition, and sda2 is Mac OS X)
 * grub won't install on sda3 at all

Basically, I want :
 * several partitions, (a small /, and a big lvm for example)
 * default OS on boot to be linux (the mini will be a remote server)
 * to keep Mac OS X is plus (no need for windows)
 * to install from the debian-installer
Also there is no need for 2D/3D for the linux.

What would you do ?
 * erase the whole disk, and install elilo?
 * use specific versions of elilo or grub?
 * something else?

Which tools would you use?
 * bootcamp? gparted? BIOS emulation? plain EFI?
 * {e,}lilo, grub, rEFIt, Apple loader, XOM?
 * debian installer or debootstrap+chroot?

Thank you, and happy christmas :)

PS: Also, I must say I am not a experiencing consistent behavior from the mini.

* When upgrading the firmware, I got a "blinking folder" on reboot instead of the official progress bar. I had the feeling of having blown up the whole chip until the second full reinstall of Mac OS X where it did rebooted on the hd. It is a bit creepy, specially when you don't really really have a clue about Mac and when you used official softs and instruction from Apple's website.

Between the two Mac OS X re-install I called Apple support, and the guy made me do weird click-during-reboot dances that I dutifully operated. There was the "hold C", the "hold left mouse" but also the "hold power on button until LED blinks". I swear I also I had to hold "Ctrl + Apple key + p + r" until the Mac had rebooted four times!. The tech said it wipe clean the memory.

 * Sometimes, on boot, the mini hangs on a blinking logo of a world map.

* During one Debian installation, I once had "No hard drive found". The d-i would offer a list of hd modules to choose from.

* Sometimes rEFIt will offer to boot on the CD but when selecting this option, the mini will hang (screen shuts down completely). The way to actually boot on the debian-installer cd is to hold C on boot.

* The mini hanged once at the point of displaying the Debian logo at the very beginning of the boot of the debian-installer.

Ressources:

http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel
The guy (or girl) install and boot debian on an external disk

http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini
Some parts did not happen as said for me. (I can't install grub). Some parts are outdated.

http://www.madingley.org/macmini/
http://www.madingley.org/macmini/walkthrough.html
James McKenzie seems very literate, he explains clearly:), briefly:(

http://onmac.net/
Specializes in booting windows, triple booting, etc