Re: Poweroff problem

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Friday 22 December 2006 00:47, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
Hello,

When running 'poweroff' my system does not power off. The last line
printed on the screen is "acpi_power_off called". My grub/menu.lst file
has no kernel options related to acpi or apm. After having searched the
net, I have also tried the following four different kernel option
combinations:

acpi=off apm=on
acpi=off apm=real-mode-poweroff
acpi=ht
apic=ht

but none of them makes the system power down. For the first two of
these, the last line printed on the screen was "System halted". I think
that was the case for the last two as well.

It is interesting that the system managed to power off one time using no
grub/menu.lst kernel options, after having tried one of the acpi/apm
options above on a previous boot, and then pressed the reset button.

Power off was working on this machine a a couple of years ago, also
running Debian (maybe Sid), with an earlier 2.6 kernel.

My motherboard is an ASUS A7S333, with the newest BIOS version
(rev1006), and AMD Athlon XP2200+. The software is Debian Etch from
today. Thus I have kernel version 2.6.18-3-k7. Both 'acpid' and 'apmd'
are installed.

I don't if this link is any use, but I found it the other day while trying to fix another problem. I am not having this shutdown problem on Etch, but on an FC5 install, and only with some kernels.

It might be worth a look.

Nigel.

Thanks Nigel and 'macondo', your suggestion worked! I now have the kernel options

'acpi=off apm=power_off'

in /boot/grub/menu.lst, and

apm power_off=1

in /etc/modules. It works great. Thanks again :-)

Happy holidays from Norway,
Torquil Sørensen