Re: How to change a gateway?

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 01:28:45PM -0800, Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-21-12 at 18:46 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:42:38AM -0800, Bill wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > What is the best way to change the IP address of a gateway?
> > > Other than using the route command - that won't survive a reboot.
> > >
> > > I have a new router with a different IP and need to configure
> > > accordingly.

are you talking about the public ip or the private, lan-side ip of
this router?

> > > I find the basic data is in /etc/network/interfaces, but it's a
> > > "no-edit" file. Presumably there's a better way? A tool, a script?
> >

> > Why is it a "no-edit" file? I thought *this* was the way to configure
> > network on Debian.
>
> Hi,
>
> Well, as you can see from below the file contains statements like
> "please do not modify the following line."

I've never seen anything like this before. usually,
/etc/network/interfaces is *MUCH* simpler. obviously you've got pppoe
involved and maybe zeroconf.

> Bitter experience has taught me that such files usually have to be
> modified using a tool of some sort and that there are usually multiple
> files involved. Unfortunately, this is the downside of sysV style.
>
> I would like nothing more than to write a little script that takes care
> of the prob, but first I have to understand the current process that is
> setting up the present router and disable that. If I can reconfigure
> that process instead then I won't have to disable it and write the
> script. So that's what I'm looking for here.
>
> You'll notice too that the lower iface section has a weird set of
> addresses. They don't match the upper set (correct) for some reason.
> Anyone know why that might be? Should I delete the lower section?
> > All replies appreciated,

that's a public IP address, I believe. Is this machine directly on the
net and serving to the public?

usually if you have a machine on a lan, behind a router/firewall of
some kind, you just change the "gateway" portion of a simple iface
specification, or if running dhcp, just ifdown/up it to get new
addresses from the dhcp server.

hth