Does anyone have audacity working with usb-sound-card on etch?

I can't get audacity to work with my usb sound card. I retried on a
fresh install of debian etch. According to information from the
alsa-user mailing list, audacity should work with /dev/dsp. My usb sound
card is /dev/dsp, but still it doesn't work.

aplayer and arecord work fine with both the built-in sound card and the
usb sound card.

Audacity works fine with the built in sound of my laptop, when the usb
is unplugged.

None of the suggestions in [1,2] work.

I increasingly guess that this is a bug with either debian's audacity or
more likely of something else in debian's sound system.

Before I go and file a bug: is there anyone out there who got his
usb-sound card working happily on etch?

Thanks for your attention,

Johannes

[1] http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_Issues
[2] http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_mic_on_Linux

johannes2:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [USB1648        ]: USB-Audio - PHASE 26 USB(16/48)
                      TerraTec PHASE 26 USB(16/48) at
usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full speed
 1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0x2400, irq 11