Re: Linux friendly colour printer?

Sorry, I sent this to Digby directly and NOT to the list.

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 17:25 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> I'm after thoughts on the current best colour printer to go for
> (or sites I should consult for this information)...
>
> I don't do a lot of colour printing, so I don't care about speed
> or heavy duty construction.
> It is mainly for CD/DVD labels, and the occasional print of a
> digital photograph. Ability to print direct to a DVD/CD would be
> convenient, but not essential.
>
> Still quite happy with my old HP 5MP (which has performed flawlessly
> for years) for monochrome printing.
>
> Main requirements are:
> 	Works well with Debian/Linux, ideally with good documentation
> 	 and a manufacturer that supports Linux directly, and all features
> 	 accessible from Linux.
> 	Good print quality
> 	Plain paper and consumables that don't have too short a shelf
> 	 life.
>
> Doesn't have to be the cheapest printer on the market, but I am not
> looking for a professional machine designed for heavy use either.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have an Epson RX600 and an Epson R300. They use 6 cartridges for
printing. Brilliant colors. The R300 prints directly on CDs and DVDs.

Now it seems these are a bit old for Epson.

The R340:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=58654762

The R340 is 100% the same as the R300 as far as printing is concerned.
So for printing only... get that or the R220 (without the media reader)

The RX620:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=54782584

The RX620 dunnah print on the CDs or DVDs, but does have a scanner that
works quite wel with Linux (Just use the RX600 driver, or if updated the
RX620)

Just FYI, since I run Debian Sid, all this stuff just works now. For a
while I had to fight the lib-usb stuff and the epkowa vs epson driver
issues. But things have really settled down now. I am very happy with my
Epson printers. The scanner works flawlessly now too... on the RX600
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux