Re: if I were a newbie how would I get sound?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 01:27:28PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:11:21PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:51:45PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > > Sound seems to be one of the flakier aspect od Debian.
> >
> > Sound cards are tricky on Windows as well. Don't know about OS X ...
>
> its been *years* since I did sound on windows, but it wasn't
> easy. IIRC, it involved cracking the case, and either setting jumpers,
> or reading irq tables off the thing and trying different
> settings... told ya it was *years*
>
> my experience with sound on linux is spotty, but I find once it works,
> it works. fwiw.

One year ago, just before I switched to Linux (I think it was one
of the reasons) I had a bad experience with W2k on a i440-BX mobo
and a Yamaha OPL3-SA2 (ISA) (pretty standard hw). This card had been Plug
and Play, with Windows recognizing it w/o problems and installing the
drivers automatically. For some reason I had to take it out and put it
back in after some time. Same slot, same Windows installation, but the
card would not work again. I tried all could think of, remove drivers,
change slot, ... , but no chance. I wiped an installed clean and
everything worked again just fine as if nothing happened. With not so
standard hardware it can be a real nightmare ...

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)