Re: if I were a newbie how would I get sound?

Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I know they're connected since I assembled the computer.  The sound is
> integral to the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB: (from the MB manual)
> SoundMAX ADI AD1988B 8-channel CODEC
> Supports Jack Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-Streaming, and
> Jack-Retasking Technology.
> Optical and Coaxial S/PDIF Out interfaces.
> This is all goblygook to me; my current box has a SB16.

You have 2 sound cards? If so, you need to configure them so they come up in
the right order. I have a SB Live! and an integrated sound card. Here is my

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=1

This configuration makes sure that the SB card is the default card. I
remember spending a _lot_ of time trying to get sound out of my box until I
figured out how to set up the default sound card. Note that alsaconf
doesn't do this.

Felipe Sateler