Re: How do I upgrade my stock kernel via aptitude?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:59:34PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:

> Hmm....  interesting, I tried doing what you suggested, and
> didn't get a list of upgradeable packages.  Which is what I
> expected, because I upgrade often and if I do an "aptitude
> upgrade" it also doesn't upgrade anything.  I always run
> "aptitude update" followed by "aptitude upgrade".

I'm puzzled that you say you "always" run aptitude and lust below you
say you used to use apt-get.  Don't you then "always" get the two-lists
you mention?

> But then I hit 'g', and I get two lists.  One very short one of
> "Packages to be installed" and a very LONG "Packages to be
> removed".  It looks like it wants to remove just about
> everything I've ever installed.  I used to use apt-get maybe
> that's the problem?

Yes, probably.  Aptitude simply doesn't know which packages you wanted
to install as opposed to which packages were just installed because
another package wanted them.  Go through the list and type '+' on each
package you want because you really use it directly.

Then type 'q' to get out of the 'g' mode and type 'g' again.  I believe
that it will then recompute the lists of packages to be installed and
removed.  Repeat until happy.

There may be problems with packages which are needed but which you are
unaware you need.

Also, be aware that until aptitude starts actually installing or
uninstalling something, or until you leave aptitude, control-U undoes
the last thing you did -- and repeated control-U can back you all the
way out to where you were doing nothing -- unless you hit an aptitude
bug, of course.

> I looked at my Installed Packages > base > main >
> kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 package, and I noticed that at the
> bottom under "Versions" it says 2.4.27-10sarge1.  From what I
> gather from the Debian Security e-mail, I should see
> 2.4.27-10sarge5 if my kernel is up to date.

If you're using the 2.4 kernels, I suppose that's the one you need.
But I believe sarge also provided 2.6-era kernels, which should work,
but may give you headaches with udev and hotplug.