Re: How do I upgrade my stock kernel via aptitude?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:26:44PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am running a 2.4.27 kernel that came with my sarge system, no
> fancy custom stuff.  I recently got a Debian Security update
> telling me about these vulnerabilities in the 2.4 kernel, and so
> naturally I'd like to upgrade to the 2.4.27-10 kernel.
>
> I'm imagining that since I'm just using a stock kernel, this
> should be as simple as "aptitude upgrade $KERNEL-PACKAGE".
> Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to figure out what
> $KERNEL-PACKAGE should be.  "aptitude search $whatever" turns up
> all sorts of kernel related results, and I don't see an obvious
> one that makes sense.  "aptitude upgrade" also doesn't seem to
> upgrade my kernel.
>
> I hate to ask the list what seems like such a basic question,
> but I've spent quite a bit of time on this and am just getting
> more confused.  Seems like it should be easy, but maybe not...?

I think you forgot to update the list of available packages.

If you use aptitude interactively (just aptitude with no parameters),
hit 'u' to update aptitude on what packages are avilable.  You will then
get a tab of 'upgradable packages'.  hit enter on this list to see what
all are wanting upgrading.  If you hit '+' on this list tab it will
select all the upgradeable packages.  Hit 'g' to see what all aptitude
wants to do, edit the list if you must, then hit 'g' again to tell it to
do so.

You can do all this from the command line but I always use the UI to
aptitude.

Doug.