debmirror mkdir fails at line 1563

I have a local mirror using debmirror. My 'mydebmirror' script has
worked throughout the Sarge release and on and off with Etch. Currently
not working. The following is the output from running my local
debmirror scipt 'mydebmirror' and then the stanza from 'debmirror' that
the error points to. I am using a current Etch install.

myetch:~# mydebmirror
Mirroring to /pub/mirror/debian from
ftp://anonymous@mirrors.kernel.org//debian// Arches: i386,powerpc,amd64
Dists: etch,unstable
Sections: main,contrib,non-free,main/debian-installer
Will clean up AFTER mirroring.
Pdiff mode: use.
Attempting to get lock, this might take 2 minutes before it fails.
Get Release files.
mkdir failed: File exists at /usr/bin/debmirror line 1563.
WARNING: releasing 1 pending lock...

debmirror script:
# Make a directory including all needed parents.
{
  my %seen;

  sub make_dir {
    my $dir=shift;

    my @parts=split('/', $dir);
    my $current='';
    foreach my $part (@parts) {
      $current.="$part/";
      if (! $seen{$current}) {
        if (! -d $current) {
** line 1563  mkdir ($current, 0755) or die "mkdir failed: $!";
  debug("Created directory: $current");
        }
        $seen{$current}=1;
      }