Re: .bash_profile ignored in X

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:23:54 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> Perhaps in the distant past I edited .bashrc and forgot to make
> a note of it, and then an upgrade of bash installed a new
> .bashrc ?

One might think that, especially if a command used to work and you
hadn't changed something else (you ran the command in an xterm last
week, and it worked then, and it doesn't work now).

Incidentally, there has been a bash update recently if you're
tracking etch, as of yesterday (3.1.5 -> 3.1.dfsg-7), but that
isn't (at least on my system) the cause of the differing behavior,
as my .bashrc hasn't changed.

OTOH, one way around this (differing behavior in different
environments - login shells vis a vis not-login shells) is
to have .bash_profile locally invoke bashrc. That way you
only edit one file. It may not work for all, since there
just might be an underlying reason why bash does things
that way, with respect to login/other shells, and some
may expect that behavior (after all, it's documented, isn't it?) :)

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.