Re: .bash_profile ignored in X

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:13:39AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> During configuration of another machine running Etch, I discovered
> that .bash_profile appears to be ignored when logging into X.

No reason why it should be... your .bash_profile is, of course, a
configuration file related to the bash shell, which X certainly is not.

Perhaps what you *actually* mean is that bash, when running in an xterm,
does not source your .bash_profile.

Bash has a man page for just this reason.  Actually reading it would
probably be a good idea, especially the "INVOCATION" section, which
describes when and under what conditions bash uses its various
configuration files.

Presumably you have told xterm not to run as a login shell, as that's the
criterion for bash to pay attention to .bash_profile.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Do your part to help preserve life on Earth --
 msw@cox.net |     by trying to preserve your own.