Re: aptitutde: "untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!"

Miles Bader wrote:
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> writes:
Would you mind telling me why you think this is misinformation? (I had
in mind that using Apt-get for a while and then using Aptitude could
result in Aptitude wanting to remove packages that you wanted to keep.)

AFAIK, modulo bugs, that isn't the case.  The problem with mixing
apt-get and aptitude is that aptitude might automatically remove _fewer_
packages than you'd like.

-Miles

I think that Aptitude might sometimes want to remove _more_ packages than you would like. In an earlier thread, Florian Kulzer tried an experiment in which Aptitude wanted to remove gdm after a Gnome install - not what you would want to happen. He wrote (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/12/msg00288.html):
I wanted to check if the above trick scales up to more complicated
cases, so I ran "apt-get install gnome". This installed 88 packages on
my system and removed abiword (due to a conflict with the automatically
installed abiword-gnome). Afterwards I saw that "aptitude install -f"
wanted to remove gdm and three packages that depended on it. Aborting
the operation and running "aptitude keep-all" fixed this and made the
system stable again.

He also concluded that:
It looks like mixing aptitude and apt-get is not dangerous, but it
takes away one of the main advantages of aptitude over apt-get. ([...] automatic removal of unused packages [...])

--
Chris.