Re: Unbootable after today dist-upgrade (Sid)

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 13:19:19 +0100, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After today dist-upgrade, my Debian Sid doesn't boot:
>
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.[...]/modules.dep: No
> such file or directory
>
> (4 times)
>
> Failed to execute /init
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to
> kernel.
>
> Possibly is due the initramfs-tools today upgrade.
>
> I'm downloading one Knoppix... but any advice?

I think it should be possible to generate the modules.dep file after
booting from the Knoppix CD:

- Find the mount point of your root partition; it should be in /mnt. I
  have not used Knoppix in a long time, so I am not sure, but I think it
  will be something like /mnt/hda1 or /mnt/sda1.

- Remount the root partition so that you can write to it. (I seem to
  remember that Knoppix mounts the harddisk partitions read-only by
  default.)

- Run depmod to generate the modules.dep file. You can use --basedir to
  make clear that you want this to be done for /lib/modules/2.6.[...] on
  the hard disk (see the manpage of depmod):

  depmod --basedir /mnt/<your-root-partition>

- Check if the modules.dep file has been generated and verify that the
  paths in this file start with /lib/modules/2.6.[...]

- Reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

--
Regards,