Re: Why multi-seat Debian Sid cannot use the stock kernel.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 05:41:35PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:00:35PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Running a multiseat setup is easy with Sid/Etch because it only involves
> > plugging in the hardware (more than 1 videocard/monitor/mouse/keyboard)
> > and configuring xorg.conf + gdm.conf (both attached). It still makes
> > economic sense because the cost of the sum of those 4 things is still
> > less than the cost of a complete PC.
> >
> > However... you cannot use a stock Debian kernel, and I figured out why
> > but don't know the reason behind it.
> >
> > You will have to use USB mice because that is the only place there is
> > physical room.
> >
> > But stock kernels use initrd to load USB module usbhid for USB mouse
> > support.
> >
> > And with that X will fail with "No core pointer!"
>
> weird.
>

> > I welcome anybody to venture the reason for this behavior. And how do
> > you take the usbhid module out of the initrd.img of a stock Debian kernel?
>
> well, I was surprised to find that machine is using mkinitrd (sid
> box). I thought we had moved to yaird. regardless, there is a file for
> mkinitrd, /etc/mkinitrd/modules that behaves just like /etc/modules,
> so I imagine you could use 'blacklist usbhid' to keep it out of the
> initrd. I know some similar conf exits for yaird.

heh. that was a reference to "my" machine, not "that" machine. I'm at
home now ona box with yaird

man yaird says that it will exclude modules listed in
/etc/hotplug/blacklist and in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d but I don't
know how that plays with purging hotplug for the udev
upgrade. regardless, though, putting usbhid in one of those places
would cause yaird to NOT include that module in the initrd... at least
that's how I read the man page.