Re: installing package dependencies automatically

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 04:11:13AM -0500, mutsuura wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm brand new to Debian. I have some experience with package installtion
> on SOLARIS systems.
>
> On SOLARIS when I install a package w/ dependencies, the package installer
> auto-magically detects this and prompts me if I want to install them as
> well.
>
> Is there a similar capability in any of Debian's package handlers: dpkg,
> aptitude, etc...
>
> Much thx and hope this (Debian) to be a "pleasant" experience.

You have your choice of package manager so choose carefully.  I know
aptitude so will discuss that.

Until (or because) you know what you're doing, use aptitude in the
interactive (not command-line) mode.  The first time you run it you need
to set a few things up then it will remember what you want:

	Under options, set it to not install recommends or suggests, and
	to automatically fix broken dependencies.

	Go down the list of installed packages and using 'm' and 'M',
	set those packages that you definatly want installed to manual
	(no 'A' flag) and those you only want installed to meet
	dependencies as automatica ('A' flag).

	Hit 'g' and it will give you a proposed action, likely to remove
	some packages (cruft) that were installed at some point but
	aren't needed.  If this list inadvertantly includes a package
	that you really want, mark it installed with '+' and anything
	that it depends on will be installed with the 'A' flag set.

	When you're happy with what it wants to do, hit 'g' again and it
	will do what it says it will.

This is the only time you have to do this; I consider it part of doing
an install.

Periodically, when connected to the net, hit 'u' to update the list of
packages.  It will add a list of any available new and upgradeable
packages.  You can select the whole list with '+' on the list header
line.

When you want to add a new package, select it with '+'.  Dependant
packages will be marked to be installed with the 'A' flag.  For each
package, you can see what is recommended and suggested (see the policy
manual for what that means).  When you hit 'g', part of the list of
intended actions is a list of packages suggested and recommended by
others.  You can select from these what you want.  Hit 'g' again and it
does it.

There's a good aptitude user's manual, debian-reference, and the policy
manual for your reading pleasure.

Enjoy.

Doug.