Re: installing package dependencies automatically

Attila writes:
> On SOLARIS when I install a package w/ dependencies, the package
> installer auto-magically detects this and prompts me if I want to install
> them as well.

Automatic handling of dependencies is a key feature of Debian.  All of the
Apt front-ends (Apt-get, Synaptic, Aptitude) deal with dependencies
automatically.  Dpkg is the "core" package manager that Apt (a library)
uses to do the actual package installation.  It does not handle
dependencies (though it detects them): this is handled in Apt.
--
John Hasler