Re: debian on an NAS server

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 19:28 -0800, Tom Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 19:18, Tom Brown wrote:

> > > Does it send console to the Serial ports? Does it support PXE or Bootp
> > > style of net-booting?
> > >
> > > If it does, then all you need is a proper bootp and tftpd server for it
> > > to boot from the network.
> >
> > Well, I made progress up to a point. It does have a serial port and the
> > bios supports PXE. So, I copied files from:
> >
> > ftp://cdimage.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/2005031
> >7sarge1/images/netboot
> >
> > onto my dhcp/tftp server. I setup my dhcp server like this:
> >
> > host pxeinstall {
> > 	hardware ethernet 00:c0:9f:06:f4:6d;
> > 	filename "pxelinux.0";
> > }
> >
> > Seems like it downloads something off the dhcp server because it spits out
> > a bunch of text in a small column of which the first line contains the
> > Debian copyright, Then it stops. If I hit a key it reboots. If I just wait
> > it will reboot eventually on its own. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom
> >
> > PS: I also tried etch files from here:
> >
> > ftp://cdimage.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/rc1/imag
> >es/netboot
> >
> > Same scenario as above.
>
> I found the following string in the pxelinux.0 file:
> "Boot failed: press a key to retry, or wait for reset..."
>
> So, I know it has downloaded pxelinux.0 and is trying to boot the kernel. Any
> ideas on where I can go from here would be appreciated.

I am gonna be honest here and tell you I have never tried to netboot  a
powervault 715N.

I am sure you can find some info about the powervault using Google.

I came up with someone doing a similar thing but with CentOS.

http://www.nalley.sc/david/?p=12

Gonna tell you that Dell may have some answers for your problems.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux