RE: Kernel Panic

Thing is I can’t get into a terminal to use APT, it freezes right after this errorL.

~Morgan

From: Erico Schuch [mailto:erico@tortelli.com.br]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:54 AM
To: Erico Schuch
Cc: Morgan Walker; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic

Erico Schuch escreveu:

Same as I have.

Correction.... HAD ;)

I found that the 2.6 pre-compiled debian kernel is using ext3, reiser and others fs as modules. I  did :
# apt-get install kernel-image.2.6XXX
# apt-get install kernel-source.2.6XXX
# apt-get install kernel-tree.2.6XXX
The last "apt-get" I think its no necessary.
note the XXX ! please change to your kernel variant. My is 686!
Then :
cd /usr/src
# tar xjf kernel-source-2.6XXX
# cp /boot/config-2.6* kernel-source-2.6XXX/.config
# cd kernel-source-2.6XXX
# make menuconfig
Configured to use ext3, xfs and reiserfs not as modules. Save and quit the menu.
# make-kpkg --initrd --us --uc kernel_image
# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6_10.00.Custom_iXXX.deb
after all, I remove the lilo.conf and generate another as I don´t realy care about lilo
# rm /etc/lilo.conf
# liloconfig
# reboot

Good luck

Erico Schuch

Morgan Walker escreveu:

Hey guys,

After updating to 2.6.16-2-amd64-k8-smp on my Sun X4100 I rebooted and got the following error:

VFS: Cannot open root device md0 or unknown-block(0,0)

Please append a correct “root=” boot option

Kernel Panic – not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

And this is where it will stop during the boot process.  I am running a RAID1 on this machine.  When the screen comes up to choose which kernel I want to boot, I press “e” to edit the grub/menu.list, but all looks well.  Here is what I have:

root            (hd0,0)

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-amd64-k8-smp root=/dev/md0 ro

initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-amd64-k8-smp

savedefault

I’m stumped, what options do I have?

Thanks in advance,

Morgan

Morgan Walker

Systems Administrator/Engineer

M·CAM, Inc.

210 Ridge-McIntire Rd., Suite 300

Charlottesville, VA 22903

434-979-7240 x311

http://www.m-cam.com
This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the use
of the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution of this communication(s) is expressly prohibited.
reply e-mail and destroy any and all copies of the original message.
Thank you.