Re: Setting network cards to full duplex at boot...

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 08:52, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> Andrei Popescu ha scritto:
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:08:57PM +1300, Simon wrote:
> >> Hi There,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to set network cards to full duplex at boot time?
> >>
> >> Thanks Simon
> >
> > Mine is set that way automatically. It would be helpful if you would
> > specify which card and chipset, Debian release, kernel version, ...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Well, I have a switch that doesn' t work well with negotiation. So I
> added these  MII lines in /etc/init.d/networking (in the start section):

> start)
>     process_options
>     log_action_begin_msg "Configuring network interfaces"
>     if ifup -a; then
>         log_action_end_msg $?
>     else
>         log_action_end_msg $?
>     fi
>         /sbin/mii-tool -F 100BaseTx-HD eth0
>         /sbin/mii-tool -v eth0
>     ;;
>
> These have to be done for every network card (HD stays for Half Duplex,
> you need FD - Full Duplex - see the mii-tool manual).
> For me this works.
Theoretically you could also add a line:-
	up mii-tool -F 100BaseTx-FD eth0
to /etc/networking/interfaces.  BUT this does not always work, and some
have suggested:-
	up sleep 30; mii-tool -F 100BaseTx-FD eth0
Some drivers also support parameters that will force the speed and duplex
settings, but the tg3 driver for one does not.

Some drivers do not work well with mii-tool, for those try ethtool.

David