How to sync Handspring Visor under Etch and udev? (FOLLOWUP)

Marc Shapiro wrote:
I have been running Sarge and have had no problem syncing my Visor through JPilot. Just press the sync button on JPilot and then hit the hotsync button on the cradle. That was Sarge, this is Etch. It doesn't work anymore. I understand that Etch is using udev. I don't understand how to set up the udev rules so that everything will work as before. I have spent the last day on Google. I have been to /. and to linuxquestions. I have found the following, or its near equivalent in a few places:

# Rule needed to create the "pilot" device
BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL=="ttyUSB[013579]", SYMLINK+
="pilot", MODE=="0666", GROUP=="users"

# Rule needed to establish the right permisions on the /dev/tts/USB* device
KERNEL=="ttyUSB[01]*", NAME="tts/USB%n", GROUP="users", MODE="0660"

I have placed these lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/010_pilot.rules and, as root, have done:

   /etc/init.d/udev restart

but I am still 8unable to sync. I have tried clicking on the button in JPilot first and I have tried pressing the hotsync button on the cradle first. No matter what I do I get this error in JPilot:

***************************************
Syncing on device /dev/pilot
Press the HotSync button now
pi_bind error: /dev/pilot Permission denied
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

Obviously, I am missing something! Can anybody here tell me what it is? My wife also has a Visor that she uses extensively and she is trying to get me to go back to Sarge just to be able to sync.

additionally, the pertinent output from dmesg is:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 21
usb 1-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS: port 1, is for Generic use
usb 1-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS: port 2, is for HotSync use
usb 1-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS: Number of ports: 2
visor 1-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
usb 1-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 1-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 21
visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0 visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
visor 1-1:1.0: device disconnected

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com