Re: Debian as a Web server

On 12/12/06, Justin Hartman <jjhartman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure you're wrong. Debian was showed as #1 in the web servers that
> publishes the distribution info by Netcraft some time ago (nothing
> more than 1 or 2 years ago).

I'm sure I am and I was really making this statement based on my own
perception more than any hard facts. I think what may be causing this
perception is the web-based control panel companies like Cpanel and
SWsoft. I've never seen a Cpanel or Plesk server running off of Debian
but again this is only what I have noticed.

> Actually, we're working very hard to polish our next release (Etch)
> and i suggest you give it a try.

Honestly I really want to give Debian a try as one of my production
servers. I don't know how difficult it will be to migrate the data
across from CentOS and RH but I am considering getting a third server
to accommodate for the growth of my site and I want to try this one
with Debian.

Well, you can start moving static content (images, some html) or setup
some balance scheme in a way that if Debian fails (as a backup server)
the main server (CentOS and/or RH) will keep up the stuff. It will
require minor changes in the CentOS and/or RH, if you're using MySQL
or PgSQL and a bunch of PHP or insert your favourite language here
based websites on top of that.

I would recommend you study vserver (using Debian), so you can put up
multiple Debian instances really fast and simulate your needed
scenarios.

This all ofcourse once I have a proper understanding and feel totally
comfortable with my current etch installation on my laptop.

Sounds cool. Well, i would recommend you run as root:

If you use GNOME:
aptitude install desktop gnome-desktop

If you use KDE:
aptitude install desktop kde-desktop

If you use XFCE (it's new, be sure that you've tasksel 2.58 with dpkg
-l tasksel or wait a bit more):
aptitude install desktop xfce-desktop

If you use other WM just do:
aptitude install desktop

You will be able to enjoy the candies Debian Desktop initiative and
tasksel team prepared for you!  That's possible install the same set
of packages right from the installer too and hopefully we will release
a live cd from that sets right after Etch release.

regards,
-- stratus