Re: Debian as a Web server

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 23:38 +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> I own two dedicated web servers and they run Red Hat and CentOS but
> what makes them different to Debian? I have done a lot of reading and
> research on Debian and my impression of, particularly stable is that
> it is one of the most reliable, stable GNU/Linux systems available out
> there.

You can defenitely use Debian.  Debian Stable (Sarge) is about a stable
as it gets - you have to shoot at the box to make it stop :-).  I am
running a couple of web/mail/dns hosting servers running ISPconfig on
Sarge.  None of them have ever given any problems.

One of the things that I like about Debian over RHEL etc. is the ease of
updating the system, if needs be.  One of the above mentioned systems is
more a testbed than anything else, so I'm often asked to add stuff or
update mysql/php/whatever.  After using backports for a while, and
selectively, by hand, installing debs from testing, I decided to
dist-upgrade to Etch, and guess what?  It went absolutely smoothly - not
a single problem.  I had to adapt a few config files here and there, but
nothing that wasn't obvious.   Last time I upgraded a RH server (7.1 to
7.2) I spent a week sorting out problems.

Hans