Re: Which version

* Troy Bull <troy.bull@uni.edu> [061212 07:00]:
> Greetings
>
> I am totally new to debian.  I recently downloaded and installed 3.1r4 I
> noticed that is seems very old.  Am I needing to update or something to
> get current packages?  I did apt-get upgrade and nothing was updated..
>
> I noticed the kernel was 2.4 something, and open office was 1.1.  These
> are two examples only, that make me wonder if everything else is equally
> out dated.  Should i choose a different distribution to get the current
> stuff?

You are running the "stable" release.  Most people should be running
the "testing" release of Debian, which currently is "Etch".  Note that
Etch is within a few weeks of becoming "stable".

If you need the very latest of everything, you need to run "unstable".
I ran "unstable" for over a year, with only occasional problems which
typically were fixed (by upgrades) within a few weeks.

Compared to other distributions, Debian is very conservative.
Consequently, Debian "testing" typically is just as bug-free as are
the production releases of other distributions.

The command you need to run is "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get
dist-upgrade".  However, if you are new to Debian, you really should
be using Synaptic for package management, in order to avoid pitfalls.

RLH