Re: fs system for desktop

* Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [2006 Dec 11 06:16 -0600]:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:11:21PM +0800, Jeff Zhang wrote:
> > which fs system (jfs, xfs or future ext4) will perform better for desktop
> > usage under occasional power failure circumstance? like recover from power
> > failure and fragment after long time run.
> > thanks in advance!
>
> I ran into this.  I started with ext2 (the standard) which got corrupted
> and lost files with power failure.  Went to ext3 (ext2 + journal) which
> was better but __silently__ would lose files.  Went to Reiserfs which
> would get corrupted by reiserfsck.  Went to JFS and no more problems.

Yikes!

I haven't seen that issue and I've been using ext3 through quite a
number of kernel variations and through various power outages on both
desktop and laptop systems for at least a couple of years or more.
Ext3 even masked a failing hardrive for a couple of years until it
failed completely. As I see it, ext3 has a great number of tools
available to work with it if necessary and is well tested.

I have one partition on my laptop with ReiserFS and it came up with
errors one day and that was a positively scary experience although
everything turned out fine.  Since then I have avoided ReiserFS and
stayed with ext3 which has served me very well on a number of
installs/systems.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of