Re: raid + lvm setup

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 06:20:31PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 09:13:51PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> lucky devil! no that makes sense to me. And if you're going to do
> video editing, swap might become real crucial real quick.
>

> > > [...]
 >
> > Is 20 G overkill?  Would 15 G be fine?  The risk is that if I guess too
> > small, one can't extend a raid1, I'd have to make another raid1 and add
> > it or some such gymnastics.  In this case, drive space is cheap.
> >
> > I eventually want to get into video editing, watching TV and movies, and
> > Lyx.  I don't know how much disk space they use.  How much does a fully
> > loaded system take (I've never before had the horsepower to bother with
> > such stuff).
> >

> well this particular box has only been deb for about 6 weeks and I
> haven't had time to get it all filled up yet, but the system (not
> counting swap and home) is currently using 1.9G. I think my main box
> at home is using about 4G in reality. so 20G's in my opinion is
> probably overkill BUT since you're putting LVM over RAID, you can
> always shrink those volumes later and add the extra raid into the rest
> of your lv's... maybe?

When I had my 486 running as a file server exporting /usr via nfs to my
P-II workstation which I think had everything but video, Lyx (and all
the tetex stuff), and gimp, I had 8 GB in the 486 and 2 GB in the
P-II.  That included /home and /var/local/backup on both boxs where I
kept the tar.bz2 backups prior to burning to CDROM.  850 MB of that was
empty for /var/tmp (where xcdroast puts CD image files).

I can shrink those volumes but can't take them out of the raid1 set, so:

With a 20 GB raid1 that means:  60 GB on two drives =120 GB non-raid lvm
+ 20 GB raid1 = 140 GB total.

With a 10 GB raid1 that means: 70 GB on two drives = 140 GB non-raid lvm
+ 10 GB raid1 = 150 GB total.

So whatever I trim off the raid1 goes directly to the non-raid 1:1.

Any idea how much swap/memory video editing takes assuming that I have a
striped lv for working in?

Thanks,

Doug.