Re: using kmail with procmail

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:21:27 -0800
John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> wrote:

> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > I couldn't find anything about this in google.
> >
> > I currently have a working setup I like that uses fetchmail and procmail. I
> > thought of moving to kmail since it can do a few things that annoy me with
> > sylpheed. Is it possible to use kmail with a local maildir folder that is
> > handled be procmail and fetchmail or do I need to move everything into kmail
> > (which pretty much rules it out in such a case)?
>
> You can kinda use procmail with kmail.  Kmail store all its mail in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
> I think you can use procmail to put mail in those folders. Never tried,
> and I probably wouldn't do it (kmail seems to create some index files,
> and I don't know how they will work if the index files and the actual
> mails in the folder don't match).

That is what I'm afraid of at the moment, the help file implies that I need an
account for each procmail spool, which sounds rather against the whole idea of
procmail and fetchmail. I was wondering if there is a way around that.

> Unfortunately, kmail won't allow you to point your maildir directory
> anywhere (it insist on moving all the mail into its directory structure).

This can be done, you need to change the folder variable
in .kde/share/config/kmailrc (when kmail isn't running)