Re: gnome-cd will not play, sound-juicer segfaults. vlc has no problems

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 21:44 +0100, Leiv Hellebo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a couple of weeks I have been unable to rip CDs, and play audio CDs.
> Mounting CD roms is not a problem (and I am not trying to mount audio
> CDs). I can play audio CDs with vlc just fine, but I am not interested
> in playing CDs, I want the darned audio in flacs on hard disk!
>
> Sound-juicer starts up all fine, getting the CD information from
> MusicBrainz, but when I click "Extract", it displays
>     "Sound Juicer could not extract this CD. Reason:
>      This CD has no audio tracks"
>     Clicking ok gives:
>     "SJ could not extract. Reason: Error starting ripping pipeline"
>
> Called from the command line, the following extra is displayed:
>
> GLib-CRITICAL **: g_source_remove: assertion `tag > 0' failed
>
> And dmesg reports a segfault.
>
> --
>
> Gnome-cd displays "Drive Error"
>
> Called from the command line, it keeps printing
>      "ERROR: This CD has no audio tracks"
>
> --
>
> The Disks Manager found under Desktop->Administration agrees that it's a
> _NEC  DVD_RW ND-3540A. Further it says "Audio Disc inserted", and that
> "Play Audio" is listed under "Supported Features". The Audio CD-rom tab
> correctly keeps track of how long the CD is and how many tracks it has
> (but of course, clicking play calls gnome-cd, which produces the errors
> mentioned above).
>

> I just apt-get updated, and gnome-media is now at 2.14.2-4, but this did
> not help.
>
> $ dmesg | grep hdc
>      ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hdc: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
> $ uname -a
> Linux lex 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:04:37 CET 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> I know a few things about computers and Debian, but when it comes to
> external media I am a total idiot, so any help here will be very, very
> much appreciated.

Try "grip" I have used it successfully where other have failed.

	apt-get install grip

If that fails, you might have to give us the failure modes from these
programs in a more verbose fashion.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is