Re: Setup a printer on debian linux

On 12/8/06, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
On (07/12/06 15:14), Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  I am looking for an up to date documentation on how to setup a
> printer under a debian/testing system .I am reading for example, that
> one should not anymore install foomatic-filters-ppds (which use to
> contain the ppd file for my printer), so I am guessing this is also a
> bad idea to download the ppd file from linuxprinting.org:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PrinterDriverPackagesSuggestedChanges
>
>  According to this post:
>
> http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-user-general/2006/008550.html
>
>  Those ppd files can be magically created for you...unfortunately I
> could not find any documentation for this new way of setting up a
> printer.

Although this talks about windows/samba printing, I've found it a useful
reference for setting up printers generally:

http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html

Cive,

 This is definitely a better document than those I have found, but it
starts with the very same statement that is not correct any more (or
at least is deprecated):

<...>
Printer Drivers

LinuxPrinting.org (http://www.linuxprinting.org) offers the largest
number of printer drivers and maintains a database of printers
supported under Linux. You must download a printer driver for each
model of printer you want to use in Linux. A printer driver consists
of a PPD file and a filter program, or only a PPD file for PostScript
printers.
<...>

 Anyway I will be keeping the reference for the windows sharing part.

Thanks !
-M
Ps: I installed kprinter (I am using gnome) and it seems to do the
jobs of generating whatever ppd file is needed. I was able to print to
a HP LaserJet 4350 with duplex.