Re: Non-printable Bytes in Variable Data A little Further Along

	Just to make this question a little simpler and filter
out the distracters, the problem appears to be that placing
double quotes around a variable name in a Bourne shell script causes
a horizontal tab to be prepended to the rest of the string.

	In the case I described in earlier posts, I needed to put
double quotes around the name of a variable as in "$varname"
instead of just $varname because "$varname" represents a string
that can and does contain ASCII spaces.  So, the question boils
down to:  is there a way to prevent the Bourne Shell from
prepending the horizontal tab to the contents of a quoted string?

	This is the standard gnu bash you get in a shell script
if the first line is

\#! /bin/sh

	Normally, the \ is not found here, but my mailer gets
upset if it sees a line starting with "#"

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer